Thursday 4 August 2011

Angamuthu Solutions

Hi friends,

I would like to talk to you……… from my heart. I have been a regular follower of many blogs and I always wanted to own one. But the time has come only now….. I thank everyone who is supporting me in this journey of scribbling… (You can say that rite) whatever comes to my mind. I have seen many bloggers write about their interview experience but I would like to write about my experience with a company as a Placement Representative [Substitute].


Our PR had a personal commitment and wanted to be in his hometown deliberately. So, He asked me to take care of the Interview Procedure as I had the experience of being a PR in my 3rd year of college. The name of the company is Angamuthu Solutions (Fake name….. Sorry I cannot give the name.) And the number of persons cleared the first round were totally 80+ from our college and 9 in our class.

The second round was scheduled to start by 12:00 and students were expected to be there by 11:45.

Our College’s computer science department was the venue and it was the decent building of our college which itself looked like a dirty bungalow which can be used for the climax scenes of Rajinikanth movies. There were 25+ chairs outside to wait and 100+ students waiting for the interview. By 11:45, the department looked like the crowd outside the hostel mess (when chips are included in the menu). The universal dress code followed by the GCTians for the interview is a light blue full hand shirt with a thick blue tie. 75% of the boys were in the same dress code.

“Everyone have two copies of resume with you. Rite” I asked them

“ya” “yes” “hmm” I heard their replies

Few seconds later, we heard them call names…. “Sebastian” “Sathya” “Shanmuganathan” from our class. I was wondering how they can interview these many people at a time. They had 15+ people for interviewing and they have taken over the lab. The lab had opaque wall on 3 sides and a transparent glass covering on one side. We were able to see the happenings from outside and the lab looked exactly like a fish market.

PRs of all departments were sitting together and we had a lot of fun that day. We were discussing about our own experience in interviews. 5 minutes after the call, sathya came out with a smiling face.

I directly walked towards her and asked “Are you shortlisted for the next round?”
“No. I don’t think so.”Sathya told me. “What did they ask you?” I asked her. Just for the sake of helping others. “They asked me about the pointers in C. I replied that I don’t know” Sathya was telling while I interrupted and asked “What was their reaction..?”

“They said ‘aiaiyoo, .................you can leave ma’” She told with a sad note.

I came back to take my place while two others from my department came out. They were Sebastian and shanmuganathan.

Sebastian came with the smile saying “Hmm…….Done..........Awesome”

I asked with anxiety “Are you shortlisted?”

Sebastian replied “Two of them who interviewed me were girls and more importantly........................” he gave a pause as a good orator always does and then told with a magical voice “they were beautiful”

I was at the peak of my anger but controlled it and asked with a smile “Ok, What is the result”

“They gave me some program and asked me for a particular output. I told them that I don’t know. But they forced me to try. I finally did it and they have rejected me.” Sebastian said while he was removing his tie.

“Was it wrong – your answer?” I asked with a worry.

“It cannot be da. I wrote a program with only a printf statement containing the output they asked me.” Sebastian said with a smile.

“You will never change da.” I told turning to shanmu. He was a special guy in our class holding the record of most number of interviews attended. “What is the case with you?”

“Bad da. Only one of the two girls was ok. The other one horrible da. ” Shanmu told and all of us started laughing.

“I am not shortlisted and I am happy for that. I don’t like the company.” Shamnu said and left the place.

We had few experiences of this kind and finally when it was about 19:00 that I felt something was flying inside my stomach. Then understood that it was hunger and I have not taken anything for the last 7 hrs. I went for a tea and came back by 19:30 while Maadasaamy of ECE department came out.

“Machi, they were asking many questions about the pointers and gave programs as well” He was explaining to his PR. He looked outside while he was talking and told “Machan, I went inside when sun was brightly up and now when I come outside it is extremely dark. Hell with these interviews.”

Venkatraman came running by 20:00 and I thought he was gonna tell the result. But he ran away from me directly towards the restroom. After few minutes he came out and told “Interview is a test of patience da. They will not send you outside until you say ‘I give up’”

“Hold on. You can make it.” I told him and started thinking about the day. I was waiting for people to tell “I am selected” from this morning. But I heard only disappointing news and saw only sad faces. Every member of our class came out and I felt like India lost another wicket in a match against Pakistan.

Finally by 20:25 we were left with two wickets (i.e) two from our class. By 20:40, Vignesh came out for the first time since he entered. “Whats up machi. Are you through?”

Vignesh lifted his tired eyes towards me and told “Almost, one more round to go. The HR round. What about the others?” I understood from the question that he was under tremendous pressure that he was not even able to notice people around him. “Only venky and you are left for the HR interview.”

After a quick tea, both of them were now ready for the final battle with the HRs (Who are creatures looking exactly like humans......  sorry if some HR is reading). The Battle began and two of our soldiers came out with a smile after the war. I was happy for them.

20 odd students were waiting for the result and 2 from our class. My watch showed 21:40....... 22:20........22:40. “its better you go. We will take care of this and tell you the result” Vignesh told me while venky nodded. I kicked my bike with all the anger I had on the company people.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

23:35 my phone was vibrating “Machan, two of our batsmen scored a century  J ” was the message that I received from Vignesh.

8 comments:

  1. Machi also post abt my experience in Angamuthu Solutions da.. I will be happy to read it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. good improved in writing lengthy one

    ReplyDelete
  3. semma da....superb.....one of the best i've ever read in ur blog :):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great chinnz...This time it s excellent and including the funny dialogues by them..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again great blog da.. I can still remember that girl who interviewed me.. Tat day, Sebastian looked at my interviewer rather than his interviewer throughout the interview time.. Funny interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Find me out. You know who i am... Good... I laughed when it was jammu's dialogue... :-)

    i've a sad story spinning around the same solutions who started a problem for me... Ivlo sonneengalae, company peraum sollirukalaam... May be i'll write mine, when i'm sixty... Even then campus recruitment will remain the same... Luck favours the idiotic... :-PFind me out. You know who i am... Good... I laughed when it was jammu's dialogue... :-)

    i've a sad story spinning around the same solutions who started a problem for me... Ivlo sonneengalae, company peraum sollirukalaam... May be i'll write mine, when i'm sixty... Even then campus recruitment will remain the same... Luck favours the idiotic... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. @all : Thank you......friends
    @Anonymous : Sorry, I am not able to find you and I can never find you comrade..... This is what you want from me ..... rite... :P

    ReplyDelete